- Research/Scholar Paper name – “Understanding The Need for Patenting of Genetically Modified Crops and Analysing the Ramifications of The Monsanto Judgement in India”
- Author: Rithuvarna K.R
- Co-Author: Somlagna Biswas
- Institution: Bangalore Institute of Legal Studies, Bangalore
- Affiliation: Centre for Study of Contemporary Legal Issues
- Date of Publication: 25/09/2021
Innovation is a quintessential factor in determining the competitiveness and economic growth of a nation wherein it helps the state to pave the way for sustainable development. India being a developing nation and definitely, one among the industrialized countries gives ample scope for the Intellectual Property arena to grow. Unfortunately, our country is still reluctant to adopt policies that could essentially change the dynamics of the agricultural sector through an unfavourable attitude shown towards encouraging the usage of Genetically Modified crops, seeds, etc. With major drawbacks being the idea of leaning onto conservative and orthodox viewpoints of yesteryears’ ‘man of letters’ and evident loopholes existing within the legal framework, it is about time due research is made on a topic consisting of one of the most beneficial ingredients that could unquestionably become a game-changer in the agro, pharma and research sectors of our country. Simultaneously, it is imperative that the future of GM crops be analysed with regards to the applicability and relevance of the Monsanto judgement.